Stars


part eleven




I had a good sense of humor in Denmark because I couldn't manage to stay up late at that point and I wanted to sleep until I was off the ship. I really liked what I was doing but I still felt like I was missing everything, including myself, and that didn't change until I was back in London.

I have roots in Denmark, stars that came from the island Mon, and as much as I liked Copenhagen I liked it better from afar. I felt myself fading and I wanted no more pictures taken. I only kept my camera out for the people back home who were excited that I was in the land of my ancestors. I didn't find any good souvenirs, though, and I felt bad.

No one can help but hold on to stars, even if they aren't the ones you thought they were.

I liked our guide but mostly I liked the water. I don’t think I’ll ever get over my fear of large bodies of dangerous, cold water but the pure, glimmering blue was so brilliant in the bright sun that I was willing to forego the safety of the distant bus in order to stare. I tried to take a picture to remember the first body of water I've ever been attracted to but I found I don't need help remembering (which is fortunate, as the pictures I did take greatly diminish the actual sight). I've always been interested in my heritage but I felt no bond with Denmark, and like many too-famous landmarks, the Little Mermaid statue was much smaller in person and I found I just didn’t care.

Comments