Prompts - 250 Word Concrete Story


Prompt: Write a 250 word scene without using any words that indicate emotion. Focus on concrete details only. 

The blonde girl darted across the street before the light changed. A large pickup slammed on its brakes, driver raising his gloved fist. She reached the sidewalk and slowed, the thin lace of her Converse settling in an oily puddle. Her breathing was heavy, her blue eyes bright and shiny. My own breathing matched hers, and our mouths turned up slightly as we looked at each other.
            I held out my sweaty hand and waited for her to take it. She did, flicking her hair back with her free hand. We walked through the streets for nearly an hour, talking of many things. After a time she pulled me toward a dimly lit store. The windows, covered in flaking paint, advertised cheap prices and rare items. I followed her inside and placed my hands over her eyes. She stumbled slowly as I twisted around the aisles, weaving back and forth among the knickknacks and gadgets. I stopped in front of a display of large oriental rugs and turned her around to face me. Her breathing grew rapid.
            I leaned in and placed my lips on hers. For a moment her body stood still, arms tight at her side, green jacket slipping off her shoulders. I straightened and cupped her face in my hands, but her eyes remained shut. I heard a browsing customer tip over a nearby display. A child yelled three aisles down. The blonde girl opened her eyes and reached for my arms, pulling me into another kiss.

Comments