Prompts - 250 Word Explanation Story


Prompt: Write a scene in 250 words that explains how a character has an ability that they shouldn’t be able to have. Explain how they can do this without simply stating why they can.

            The night grew cold and dark as I sat in a corner of the abandoned house. My traveling companion, Carla, paced and moved her lips, though she knew I had no ability to hear the sounds she made.
            The room afforded no heat or light. I searched until I found a lopsided door. It led me to a room filled with shelves and cabinets, stuffed tightly with paper. By matchlight I could see on each paper patterns of curving lines, thick dots, and peculiar symbols. I recognized the patterns. They made what those who could hear called “music.”
            Carla soon came after me. She stared as I sorted the papers into two piles. On one pile I dropped my match. I felt the heat as it burned the yellowing paper. Carla made stomping gesture, but I held up two pages for her to see.
            I could not hear, but I knew that “music” made “songs” and people listened and tapped their toes. I imagined what they heard was like the pattern of ripples a skipping stone made in a still pond. The waters ebb and flow, lap onto dry sand and bring beauty and peace.
            The first paper I showed her was not the kind that imparted beauty. It was frenetic, discordant, unpleasant. With a weak pen I scribbled over it, blotting out its ugliness. The second paper was peaceful and harmonious; on it I drew gentle waves. Carla studied the papers and then my face. She began holding up other papers for me to see. A nod to the left, they were saved. To the right – burned.

Comments